Norham and Islandshires was a rural district in Northumberland, England from 1894 to 1974. The district was formed under the Local Government Act 1894 from the Berwick rural sanitary district. It contained all the historic area of Norhamshire and most of Islandshire, including Norham and Lindisfarne (Holy Island), which had been under the jurisdiction of the County Palatine of Durham until 1844. The district survived until 1974, when it was abolished under the Local Government Act 1972.
Appleby-in-Westmorland is a town in Cumbria, in North West England. It is situated within a loop of the River Eden and has a population of approximately 2,500. It is in the historic county of Westmorland, of which it was the county town. The town's name was simply Appleby, until the local government changes of 1974. When a successor parish was formed for the former borough of Appleby, the council effected a change in the town's name, to preserve the historic county's name.
Windermere is a town and civil parish in the South Lakeland District of Cumbria, England. It has a population of 8,245. It lies about half a mile (1 km) away from the lake, Windermere. Although the town Windermere does not touch the lake, it has now grown together with the older lakeside town of Bowness-on-Windermere, though the two retain distinguishable town centres.
Stone is an old market town in Staffordshire, England, situated about seven miles north of Stafford, and around seven miles south of the city of Stoke-on-Trent. It is the second town, after Stafford itself, in the Borough of Stafford, and has long been of importance from the point of view of communications. Stone gave its name to both an urban district council and a rural district council before becoming part of the borough in 1974. In 2001 it had a population of 14,555.
Haltemprice was a former urban district and currently refers to an area in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, directly to the west of Hull. It comprises the villages, Anlaby, Cottingham, Hessle, Kirk Ella, Skidby, West Ella and Willerby.
Penrith is a market town in the county of Cumbria, England. It is in the Eden Valley, just north of the River Eamont, and lies less than 3 miles (5 km) outside the boundaries of the Lake District National Park. Other local rivers bounding the town are the River Lowther and the River Petteril. A partially man-made watercourse, known as Thacka Beck, flowing through the centre of the town, connects the Rivers Petteril and Eamont.
Amersham was a rural district in the administrative county of Buckinghamshire, England from 1894 to 1974. The rural district took over the responsibilities of the disbanded Amersham Rural Sanitary District. It entirely surrounded but did not include Chesham. Chesham and Amersham rural districts were merged to form the Chiltern District under the Local Government Act 1972.
Warley was a short-lived county borough and civil parish forming part of the West Midlands conurbation, England. It was formed in 1966 by the combination of the existing county borough of Smethwick with the municipal boroughs of Oldbury and Rowley Regis, by recommendation of the Local Government Commission for England. It was abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, with its area passing to the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell.
Clare Rural District was a rural district in the county of West Suffolk, England. It was created in 1894. On April 1, 1935 it was enlarged by the addition of the parishes of Lidgate and Ousden from the disbanded Moulton Rural District, Cavendish and Hawkedon from the Melford Rural District and Depden from the Thingoe Rural District. It was named after and administered from Clare. Since April 1, 1974 it has formed part of the Borough of St Edmundsbury.
Thingoe Rural District was a rural district in the county of West Suffolk, England. It was created in 1894. On April 1, 1935 the parish of Depden was transferred to the Clare Rural District. On the same date the district was enlarged by the transfer of the civil parishes of Barnham, Barningham, Coney Weston, Euston, Fakenham Magna, Hepworth, Honington, Hopton, Knettishall, Market Weston, Sapiston, and Thelnetham from the disbanded Brandon Rural District.
Belt armor is a layer of heavy metal armor plated onto or within outer hulls of warships, typically on battleships, battlecruisers, cruisers, and on all modern aircraft carriers. Furthermore, heavy warships have armored decks to protect them from either aerial bombing or from "plunging fire" of long-range naval shells or guided missiles descending onto them at steep angles.
Traditionally the family Hygrophoraceae, also known as waxy caps or waxcaps, was a taxon of white-spored agarics. Among them are some of the most brightly coloured fungi encountered, often in grasslands, forests and mossy areas across the northern hemisphere. The family contains 9 genera and 325 species.