Irlam (pop. 18,500) is a town within the metropolitan borough of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on flat ground by the Manchester Ship Canal, 6.7 miles (10.8 km) west-southwest of Salford, 7.6 miles (12.2 km) west-southwest of Manchester and 8.3 miles (13.4 km) east-northeast of Warrington. Historically a part of Lancashire, Irlam was a relatively remote and underdeveloped area of moss land until the early 19th century.
Cadishead is a town in the metropolitan borough of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. Historically a part of Lancashire, Cadishead is the most southwesterly settlement in the city of Salford.
Salford Quays is an area of Salford in Greater Manchester, England, near the end of the Manchester Ship Canal. Previously the site of Salford Docks, it became one of the first and largest urban regeneration projects in the United Kingdom following the closure of the dockyards in 1982. In 2007 it was confirmed that the BBC would be moving several of its departments to a new, currently under construction on Pier 9.
Worsley is a town within the metropolitan borough of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies along the course of Worsley Brook, 5.75 miles (9.25 km) west of Manchester. The M60 motorway bisects the area. Historically a part of Lancashire, Worsley has provided evidence of Roman and Anglo-Saxon activity, including two Roman roads.
Boothstown is a residential village straddling the City of Salford and Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester, England. It is situated to the west of the City of Salford, bordered to the north by the East Lancashire Road A580 and to the south by the Bridgewater Canal. Historically Boothstown or Booth Town was a hamlet partly in Worsley township in the parish of Eccles, and partly in Tyldesley in the parish of Leigh. The boundary was the Stirrup Brook.
Eccles (pop. 36,600) is a town in the City of Salford, a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester in North West England, 2.7 miles (4.3 km) west of Salford and 3.7 miles (6.0 km) west of Manchester city centre. Historically a part of Lancashire, Eccles lies on sloping ground between the M602 motorway (to the north), and the Manchester Ship Canal (to the south).
Swinton is a town within the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. It stands on gently sloping ground on the southwest side of the River Irwell, and within the bounds of the orbital M60 motorway. It is 3.4 miles (5.5 km) west-northwest of Salford, and 4.2 miles (6.8 km) west-northwest of Manchester. Swinton and the adjoining town of Pendlebury together have a population of 41,347.
Peel Green is a district, which along with Patricroft and Barton upon Irwell forms the western end of the town of Eccles, in the City of Salford, Greater Manchester, England and lying within the historic county boundaries of Lancashire. The distinct boundaries between the three areas are today indistinguishable.
Clifton is a small town within the metropolitan borough of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies in the Irwell Valley in the northern part of the City of Salford. Historically a part of Lancashire, Clifton, a former centre for coal mining, once formed part of the municipal borough of Swinton and Pendlebury.
Chat Moss is a large area of peat bog that makes up 30% of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. It is north of the River Irwell, 5 miles (8 km) to the west of Manchester, and occupies an area of about 10.6 square miles (27.5 km). The depth of peat varies between 24 feet (7 m) and 30 feet (9 m).
The Duchy of Carinthia was a duchy located in southern Austria and parts of northern Slovenia. It was part of the Holy Roman Empire from 976 until the dissolution of the Empire in 1806, and a crownland of Austria-Hungary until its dissolution in 1918.