Monticello, located just outside Charlottesville, Virginia, was the estate of Thomas Jefferson, the principal author of the United States Declaration of Independence, third President of the United States, and founder of the University of Virginia. The house, which Jefferson himself designed, was based on the neoclassical principles described in the books of the Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio.
Mount Vernon, located near Alexandria, Virginia, was the plantation home of the first President of the United States, George Washington. The mansion is built of wood in neoclassical Georgian architectural style, and the estate is located on the banks of the Potomac River. Mount Vernon was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Poplar Forest was Thomas Jefferson's plantation and plantation house in what is now Forest, Virginia, near Lynchburg, which he treated as a private retreat and upon which he lavished attention from 1806 until his death 20 years later. "It is the most valuable of my possessions," Jefferson once wrote a correspondent.
The George Washington Birthplace National Monument is in Westmoreland County, Virginia, United States. Originally settled by John Washington, George Washington's great-grandfather, George Washington was born here on February 22, 1732. He lived here until age three, returning later as a teenager.
Edge Hill is the childhood home of Thomas Jefferson in Albemarle County, Virginia, USA. Jefferson's father moved to this home after Shadwell burned to the ground. This famous estate was named after the first battle of the English Civil Wars of the 1640s in Edge Hill, Warwickshire, England. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 9, 1982.
Shadwell, a plantation in Albemarle County, Virginia near Charlottesville, was the birthplace of Thomas Jefferson. It was named after Shadwell parish in London where his mother Jane Randolph was born. In 1770, the house at Shadwell was destroyed in a fire and the family of Peter Jefferson moved to a home called Edge Hill. Peter Jefferson had died by the time the house at Shadwell had burned down. The site today is marked by a Virginia Historical Marker.
Chatham Manor is the Georgian-style home built between 1768 and 1771 by William Fitzhugh on the Rappahannock River in Stafford County, Virginia, opposite Fredericksburg. It was for more than a century the center of a large, thriving plantation. Flanking the main house were dozens of supporting structures: a dairy, ice house, barns, stables. Down on the river were fish traps.
Stratford Hall Plantation in Westmoreland County, Virginia, United States, was the home of four generations of the Lee family of Virginia, including two signers of the Declaration of Independence, and was the birthplace of Robert E. Lee, Confederate General-in-chief during the American Civil War.
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial, also known as the Custis-Lee Mansion, is a Greek revival style mansion located in Arlington, Virginia, USA and was once the home of Confederate General Robert E. Lee. It overlooks the Potomac River, directly across from the National Mall in Washington, D.C. During the American Civil War, the grounds of the mansion were selected as the site of Arlington National Cemetery, in part to ensure that Lee would never again be able to return to his home.
Ferry Farm, also known as George Washington Boyhood Home Site or Ferry Farm Site, is the name of the farm and home at which George Washington spent much of his childhood. In July 2008, archeologists announced that they had found remains of the boyhood home, which had burnt in a fire, including artifacts such as pieces of a tea set probably belonging to George's mother, Mary Ball Washington.
Endview Plantation is a 17th century plantation which is currently located on Virginia State Route 238 in the Lee Hall community in the northwestern area of the independent city of Newport News, Virginia. Earlier known as the Harwood Plantation, it was built in 1769 by William Harwood along the Great Warwick Road, which linked the colonial capital of Williamsburg with the town of Hampton on the harbor of Hampton Roads.
Chippokes Plantation State Park is located at 695 Chippokes Park Road, Surry, Virginia. It is in a rural, agricultural area off the James River and Route 10 in Surry County, and is protected under the state park system. Chippokes Plantation was established in 1617 by Captain William Powell of the Jamestown Settlement in the Virginia Colony. In 1967, the 1,700 acre plantation was donated to the Commonwealth by Mrs. Victor Stewart for use as a state park.
Gunston Hall is an 18th-century Georgian mansion near the Potomac River in Mason Neck, Virginia, United States of America. The house was the home of the United States Founding Father George Mason. It was located at the center of a 5500 acre (22 km²) plantation. The construction period of Gunston Hall was between 1755 and 1759. The design was mostly that of William Buckland, a carpenter/joiner and indentured servant from England.
Four Mile Tree is the name of a plantation near Jamestown, Virginia. Encompassing two thousand acres (8 km²), it was situated on the south side of the James River opposite Jamestown, four miles further north. On a hill near the water's edge a handsome old house overlooks the river. This house with the whole plantation, was the estate of the Browne family where they lived for two hundred years. The first owner, Colonel Henry Browne, was a member of Sir William Berkeley's Council in 1643.
Kingsmill was the name of a plantation located in James City County, Virginia. It was located on the north bank of the James River a few miles east (downstream) of Jamestown, where the first permanent settlement was established in 1607.
Elsing Green Plantation, a national historic landmark and wildlife refuge, rests upon nearly 3,000 acres (12 km²) along the Pamunkey River in King William County, Virginia, a rural county on the western end of the state’s middle peninsula, approximately 33 miles (53 km) northeast of the City of Richmond. The 18th-century plantation, now owned by the Lafferty family, has been in continuous operation for more than 300 years.
Red Hill Patrick Henry National Memorial in Charlotte County, Virginia near the Town of Brookneal, honors Patrick Henry, the fiery legislator and orator of the American Revolution. Henry's law office and grave are preserved at his small Red Hill plantation, along with a reconstruction of his last home, several dependencies, and a museum. Congress authorized the establishment of "Patrick Henry National Monument" on August 15, 1935 (49 Stat.
Kippax Plantation was located on the south bank of the Appomattox River in what is today the City of Hopewell in southeast Virginia. Kippax Plantation was the home of Colonel Robert Bolling (1646-1709). Bolling married Jane Rolfe, who was the granddaughter of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. Their only child, John Bolling was born at Kippax in 1676, and settled nearby at Cobbs Plantation, just west of Point of Rocks across the Appomattox River in what is now Chesterfield County.
Chericoke is a historic home built by Carter Braxton (a signer of the Declaration of Independence) in 1767 in King William County, Virginia. Located several miles northwest of his family's estate of Elsing Green, Chericoke served as Braxton's home from 1767 to 1786. When he died in 1797, Braxton was buried at Chericoke in the adjoining family cemetery.
Woodlawn Plantation is located in historic Fairfax County, Virginia, near Mount Vernon, George Washington's historic home. In 1799, George Washington gave Eleanor Parke Custis Lewis and Lawrence Lewis 2,000 acres of land as a wedding present. The Woodlawn house was constructed and finished on the plantation in 1805. Today, the house and surrounding gardens are all that remain of the plantation with the rest of the property long since sold to developers.
Belle Isle State Park is located in Lancaster County, Virginia, on the Rappahannock River. It sits in Lancaster County between Deep Creek and Morattico Creek and is currently under public ownership. The park has an area of 733 acres (2.97 km) and has facilities for fishing, boating and picnics. While it is not an island, the park is surrounded by Tidewater coastal marshes. Wildlife observed includes blue herons, osprey, hawks, bald eagles, white-tailed deer and various reptiles and amphibians.
Rippon Lodge is the oldest house still extant in Prince William County, Virginia. Built ca. 1747 by Richard Blackburn, it lies on high ground overlooking Neabsco Creek at the south end of what is now the unincorporated town of Woodbridge at 15520 Blackburn Road. The house takes its name from Richard Blackburn's birthplace, the small city of Ripon in North Yorkshire, England.