The Kirtland Safety Society (KSS) was a quasi-bank organized in 1836 (and reorganized on January 2, 1837) by leaders and followers of the Church of the Latter Day Saints. According to KSS's 1837 "Articles of Agreement", it was intended to serve the banking needs of the growing Mormon community in Kirtland, Ohio. Its preamble stated it was: ...
Zions Cooperative Mercantile Institution was founded in 1868, by Brigham Young and was one of the earliest department stores in the United States. For many years, it used the slogan, "America's First Department Store". Even though the Latter Day Saints had lived in the Salt Lake area for some 20 years by that time, Mormons were despised by the surrounding community, as Young had disparaged non-Mormon merchants and encouraged these businesses to be boycotted in 1866.
The Indian Placement Program, or Indian Student Placement Program was a program of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1947 to 1996, in which Native American students (upon request by their parents) were voluntarily placed in Latter-day Saint foster homes during the school year, where they would attend public schools and become assimilated into Mormon culture.
The Anointed Quorum, also known as the Quorum of the Anointed, or the Holy Order, was a select body of men and women who Joseph Smith, Jr. initiated into Mormon temple ordinances at Nauvoo, Illinois, which gave them special standing in the early Latter Day Saint movement.
The Council of Fifty (also known as the Living Constitution, the Kingdom of God, or its name by revelation, The Kingdom of God and His Laws with the Keys and Power thereof, and Judgment in the Hands of His Servants, Ahman Christ) was a Latter Day Saint organization established by Joseph Smith, Jr. in 1844 to symbolize and represent a future theocratic or theodemocratic "Kingdom of God" on the earth.
The State of Deseret was a provisional state of the United States, proposed in 1849 by Latter-day Saint settlers in Salt Lake City. The provisional state existed for slightly over two years and was never recognized by the United States government. The name derives from the word for "honeybee" in the Book of Mormon.
The Nauvoo Legion was a militia originally organized by the Latter Day Saints to protect their city of Nauvoo, Illinois. To curry political favor with the ambiguously-political Saints, the Illinois state legislature granted Nauvoo a liberal city charter that gave the Nauvoo Legion extraordinary independence. Led by Joseph Smith, Jr. , founder of the Latter Day Saint movement and mayor of Nauvoo, the Legion quickly became the most formidable concentration of military power in the American West.
The Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company, commonly referred to as the Perpetual Emigration Fund (PEF), was a corporation established by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1849. The purpose of the corporation was to provide economic assistance to more than 30,000 individuals who sought to emigrate to Utah and surrounding regions. The PEF used both church assets and private contributions to aid impoverished converts to the LDS faith when they moved west.
In the Latter Day Saint movement, the United Order (also called the United Order of Enoch) was one of several 19th century church collectivist programs. Early versions of the Order beginning in 1831 attempted to implement the Law of Consecration, a form of Christian communism, modeled after the New Testament church which had "all things in common". These early versions ended in failure and debt.
Winter Quarters was an encampment formed by approximately 2,500 members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as they waited during the winter of 1846-1847 for better conditions for their trek westward. It followed a preliminary tent settlement some 3½ miles west at Cutler's Park. The Mormons built more than 800 cabins at the Winter Quarters settlement. Located in present-day North Omaha overlooking the Missouri River, the settlement remained populated until 1848.
Zion's Camp was a paramilitary expedition of Latter Day Saints, led by Joseph Smith, Jr. , from Kirtland, Ohio to Clay County, Missouri during May and June 1834 in an unsuccessful attempt to regain land from which the Saints had been expelled by non-Mormon settlers.
In Mormonism, the Presiding High Council (also called the High Council in Zion or the High Council of Zion) is a standing high council which presides over the other standing high councils in each stake of Zion.
Willden Fort was a wooden-palisade fort constructed on Cove Creek in Utah in 1860 by Charles William Willden and his son Ellott. It was occupied from 1860 to 1865, abandoned, then occupied briefly in 1867 during the construction of Cove Fort.
The Endowment House was an early building used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to administer temple ordinances in Salt Lake City, Utah Territory. Prior to the building of Endowment House, after the construction of Salt Lake City's first public building, the Council House, the Mormons used its top floor for administering temple rituals in 1852. When this arrangement proved impractical, Brigham Young directed Truman O.
Cutler's Park was briefly the headquarter camp of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints established by 2500 members as they were making their way westward to the Rocky Mountains. It was apparently created in August 1846 and covered all around what is now the intersection of Mormon Bridge Road and Young Street in Omaha, Nebraska, though it appears to have been completely vacated by December 1846, before even Nebraska Territory came into existence.
Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, commonly shortened to Assistant to the Twelve or Assistant to the Twelve Apostles, was a priesthood calling in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints between 1941 and 1976. As the title of the calling suggests, men who held this position assisted the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in fulfilling their priesthood responsibilities.
Assistant President of the Church (also referred to as Associate President of the Church) was a position in the leadership hierarchy in the early days of the Latter Day Saint church founded by Joseph Smith, Jr. The Assistant President was the second-highest authority in the church and was a member of the church's governing First Presidency. As President of the Church, Smith appointed two (possibly three) men to serve in the position of Assistant President.
Regional representative of the Twelve, commonly shorted to regional representative or regional rep, was a priesthood calling in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) between 1968 and 1995. As the title suggests, the responsibility of the Regional Representatives was to represent the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the various regions or areas of the church.
LDS High School (previously known as Latter-day Saints' High School, sometimes spelled Latter-day Saints High School) was a secondary school located in Salt Lake City, Utah operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The school was closely associated with Latter-day Saints' University, the last vestiges of which are now LDS Business College. Both trace their beginnings to the Salt Lake Stake Academy, which started in 1886. The LDS High School name was adopted in 1927.
Aaronic Priesthood MIA Young Women was the name of an official auxiliary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints between 1972 and 1974. It was formed by combining the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association and the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association into one consolidated organization. Leadership of the auxiliary was shared between the presiding bishopric and the general presidency of the Young Women.
The Mormon Youth Symphony and Chorus (MYSC) was an official musical organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1969 to 1999, composed of young musicians aged 18 to 33. The choral arm of the group provided music for the church's annual and semi-annual general conferences, usually during the Saturday afternoon sessions. The group was disbanded during the 1999 reorganization of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and resulting creation of the Orchestra at Temple Square.
The Nauvoo Brass Band was an official organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) when the church's headquarters where located in Nauvoo, Illinois, and was later revived in the Utah Territory.
June Conference was an annual meeting of Latter-day Saint young men and women held in Salt Lake City until 1975, when church president Spencer W. Kimball announced the conference would end as the church, experiencing increasing international growth, moved to decentralize. He emphasized that Church leaders were realizing “the impracticality of concentrating our activities and learning processes in the headquarters center only. ”