Sausthorpe (also called Saucethorpe) is a village in the valley of the River Lymn in the Lincolnshire Wolds, England. It is situated 3 miles from Spilsby and 137 miles from London. The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew. Fr. T. Pelham Dale SSC, famous for having been prosecuted and imprisoned for Ritualist practices in 1876 and 1880 (and is thus regarded as something of a martyr by Anglo-Catholics), was the parish priest from 1881-1892. He is buried in the churchyard.
Crowland (modern usage) or Croyland (medieval era name and the one still in ecclesiastical use) is a small town in south Lincolnshire, England, positioned between Peterborough and Spalding, with two sites of historical interest.
Sutton Bridge is a village and civil parish in southeastern Lincolnshire, England on the west bank of the River Nene. It is close to the border with Norfolk and Cambridgeshire. The early 19th century village consisted of a few farmhouses and cottages straggled along the track which passed for a main road. Stretching to the east and north was a vast, fast flowing expanse of marshes known as Cross Keys Wash, through which the River Nene (earlier, the Wellstream) wound its way to the sea.
Sleaford is a town within the North Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It is thirteen miles (21 km) northeast of Grantham, seventeen miles (27 km) west of Boston, and nineteen miles (30 km) south of Lincoln, and had a total resident population of around 14,500 in 6,167 households at the time of the 2001 census. The name Sleaford is from the Old English esla+forde, meaning "ford over a muddy stream" (the muddy stream now being known as the River Slea).
Bolingbroke, now called Old Bolingbroke, is a village near Spilsby in Lincolnshire, England. (Another village 10 km south west is called New Bolingbroke. ) William de Roumare, Earl of Lincoln (born circa 1096) built Old Bolingbroke Castle in the 12th century, a motte and bailey castle, with a wet ditch. In the early 13th century, a new castle was constructed at the present site by Ranulph de Blondeville, 4th Earl of Chester.
Scopwick is small village 10km south of Lincoln in Lincolnshire, England. The main road runs parallel to a narrow beck which lends a scenic charm to the street scene. The parish also includes Kirkby Green, a hamlet to the east of Scopwick. The village cemetery includes a War Graves site for airmen from RAF Digby that had previously been called RAF Scopwick and contains many graves, including that of the young World War II poet and aviator John Gillespie Magee, Junior.
North Thoresby is a village in Lincolnshire situated between Louth and Grimsby, approximately 7.5 miles (12 km) from each with a population of about 1,500. The area is essentially agricultural but the majority of residents work in Grimsby and Cleethorpes or in the industries situated on the Humber bank.
Whitton is an English village of about 170 inhabitants in North Lincolnshire. It is located at the northern termination of the Cliff range of hills, on the south shore of the Humber, about 3 miles (4.8 km) below Trent Falls, and 9 miles (14 km) west of Barton-upon-Humber. The parish is bounded on the west by Alkborough, on the east by Winteringham and, to the south, by West Halton.
Woolsthorpe, also known as Woolsthorpe-by-Belvoir, is a small village in the English county of Lincolnshire, about 5 miles from the town of Grantham. It adjoins the county border with Leicestershire; the neighbouring village of Belvoir lying on the other side of the border. It is not to be confused with the hamlet of Woolsthorpe-by-Colsterworth, the birthplace of Sir Isaac Newton, which is also in Lincolnshire but about 8 miles (13 km) to the south-east.
Skegness is a seaside town and civil parish within the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. Located on the Lincolnshire coast of the North Sea, 43 miles (69 km) east of the city of Lincoln it has a total resident population of 18,910. Grid reference: TF564636. Skegness is the location of the first of the Butlins holiday resorts, built in 1936, which remains within the area to this day, and in this capacity, remains one of the more famous seaside resorts in the United Kingdom.
Epworth is a small town and civil parish in the Isle of Axholme, North Lincolnshire, England. As the birthplace of John Wesley and Charles Wesley, it has given its name to many institutions associated with Methodism. Their father, Samuel Wesley, was the rector from 1695 to 1735.
Gainsborough is a town on the River Trent within the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. At one time it served as an important inland port, with much trade downstream to Hull and the North Sea, the latter about 55 miles away.
Barton-upon-Humber or Barton is a small town in North Lincolnshire, England located on the south bank of the Humber Estuary, and at the end of the Humber Bridge. It lies 46 miles (74 km) east of Leeds, 6 miles (10 km) southwest of Hull and 31 miles (50 km) north northeast of the county town of Lincoln. Formerly an important centre for the manufacture of bicycles, Hopper's Cycles being established in the town in 1880 in the Hopper Building.
Horncastle is a market town of some 6,090 residents in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It lies to the south of the Lincolnshire Wolds, where the River Bain meets the River Waring, and north of the West and Wildmore Fens. Horncastle was given its market charter in the 13th century. It was formerly known for its great August Horse Fair — an internationally-famous annual trading event which lasted until the early 20th century.
Bourne is a market town and civil parish on the western edge of the Fens, in the District of South Kesteven in southern Lincolnshire, England. The town owes its origin to the Roman road upon which it was built, and also to the exceptionally fine-quality water supply derived locally from natural springs. The name “Bourne” (or “Bourn”, as the town was originally known) is a common name for a settlement and derives from the Anglo-Saxon meaning “water” or “stream”.
Crowle (pronounced as Croul) is a small town and civil parish on the Isle of Axholme in North Lincolnshire, England. It lies on the Stainforth and Keadby Canal and has a railway station. Notable buildings in the town include the parish church, in which can be seen the Crowle Stone runic cross shaft, and the Gothic revival market hall.
Market Rasen is a town and civil parish within the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It lies on the River Rase 13.8 miles (22 km) northeast of Lincoln, 18 miles (29 km) east of Gainsborough and 16.3 miles (26 km) southwest of Grimsby. The 2001 census shows Market Rasen has a population of 3,200 people.
Tathwell is a village in Lincolnshire, England. It lies within the administrative district of East Lindsey, around three miles south of the town of Louth. The hamlet of Haugham lies about a mile south-east of Tathwell. Cadwell Park motor racing circuit around two miles south of Tathwell.
Minting is a small village and civil parish just off the A158 road, in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. Minting is one of the Thankful Villages that suffered no fatalities during the Great War of 1914 to 1918. Minting is a small village that has a population of about 167 people. The pub is in the centre of the village. It has become something of a centre for black cat sightings.
Spilsby is a market town and civil parish in Lincolnshire. England. The town is situated adjacent to the main A16 Trunk Road at the southern edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds north of the Fenlands, 33 miles (53 kilometers) east of the county town of Lincoln, 17 miles (27.4 kilometers) north east of Boston and 13 miles (21 kilometers) north west from Skegness. The town has been a rural market town for over seven hundred years and has changed little in size since the beginning of the 19th century.