U.S. Route 66 (also known as the Will Rogers Highway after the humorist, and colloquially known as the "Main Street of America" or the "Mother Road") was a highway in the U.S. Highway System. One of the original U.S. highways, Route 66, US Highway 66, was established on November 11, 1926. However, road signs did not go up until the following year.
Guthrie is a city in and the county seat of Logan County, Oklahoma, United States, and a part of the Oklahoma City Metroplex. The population was 9,925 at the 2000 census. Guthrie was the territorial and later the first state capital for Oklahoma. Guthrie is nationally significant because of its outstanding collection of late nineteenth and early twentieth-century commercial architecture. The Guthrie Historic District has been designated a National Historic Landmark.
The University of Oklahoma (abbreviated OU) is a coeducational public research university located in Norman, Oklahoma. Founded in 1890, it existed in Oklahoma Territory near Indian Territory for 17 years before the two became the state of Oklahoma. As of 2007, the university has 29,931 students enrolled, most located at its main campus in Norman.
The Oklahoma City National Memorial is the largest memorial of its kind in the United States. It honors the victims, survivors, rescuers, and all who were changed by the Oklahoma City bombing on April 19, 1995. The memorial is located in downtown Oklahoma City on the former site of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, which was destroyed in the 1995 bombing. This building was located on NW 5th street between N. Robinson Avenue and N.
Oklahoma City University, abbreviated OCU, is a coeducational, urban, private university located in the midtown district of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, offering more than 60 undergraduate majors, 12 graduate degrees, including a JD, MBA and PhD in Nursing, and an Adult Studies Program for working adults to earn a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree. The university has approximately 2,100 undergraduate students and 1,700 graduate students from 46 states and 49 foreign countries.
The Santa Fe Trail was a 19th-century transportation route through central North America that connected Missouri with Santa Fe, New Mexico. First used in 1821 by William Becknell, it served as a vital commercial and military highway until the introduction of the railroad to Santa Fe in 1880. At first an international trade route between the United States and Mexico, it was the 1846 U.S. invasion route of New Mexico during the Mexican–American War.
Fort Towson was a frontier outpost for Frontier Army Quartermasters along the Permanent Indian Frontier located about two miles (3 km) northeast of the present community of Fort Towson, Oklahoma. It was established in May 1824, under Col. Matthew Arbuckle, on the southern edge of Indian Territory to guard the Spanish border. It was named for Nathaniel Towson, Paymaster General of the Army.
Robber's Cave State Park is a state park in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. It is located seven miles (10 km) north of Wilburton, Oklahoma, on State Highway 2. The park contains 8,246 acres (33 km²) of forest and lakes. Several miles of trails are scattered throughout the park. Horses can be rented to follow the trails. One of the trails is northwest of the cave area and travels around Lost Lake. The park has several cabins and a lodge.
The Oklahoma State Capitol building, located in Oklahoma City, is the seat of government of the U.S. state of Oklahoma, the location of the chambers of the Oklahoma Legislature and serves as the meeting place of the Oklahoma Supreme Court. The state capitol campus is famous for oil wells being located there and remains today as the only state capitol grounds in the United States with active oil rigs. The capitol building sits directly on top of the Oklahoma City Oil Field.
Ed Galloway's Totem Pole Park consists of eleven objects and one building on 14 acres (57,000 m²) in Rogers County, Oklahoma. The park is ten miles (16 km) north-east of Claremore and is located 3.5 miles (6 km) east of historic U.S. Route 66 and Foyil. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 30, 1999 and is currently owned and operated by the Rogers County Historical Society and the Foyil Heritage Association.
The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, or USAO, is the only public college with a strictly liberal arts-based curriculum in Oklahoma. USAO is located in Chickasha, Oklahoma, and is a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges.
East Central University (ECU) is a four year public university in Ada, Oklahoma, located in the south central region of the state. The university also has courses available in McAlester, Shawnee, Ardmore, and Durant.
Sacred Heart is a small unincorporated community in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, United States. Established in 1879 by Father Isidore Robot as a Catholic mission on the old Pottawatomie reserve, it was originally named Sacred Heart Mission. The name was changed to Sacred Heart in 1888 shortly before the area was opened to settlement by non-Indians. The post office was closed in 1954. The mission site is located nine miles east of US 177 on SH 39, then one mile north on Sacred Heart Road.
Automobile Alley Historic District is an upscale Urban neighborhood in Oklahoma City, located roughly along North Broadway Avenue in Downtown Oklahoma City. The district contains numerous low and midrise heritage buildings, restaurants, and shops and is listed in the National Historic Register of neighborhoods. Automobile Alley (A-Alley for short) was a popular retail district in the 1920s and was home to most of the city's car dealerships.
Rock Mary, in Caddo County, Oklahoma, was a prominent landmark on the California Trail. It was named in 1849 for Mary Conway, the then 17 year old granddaughter of James Sevier Conway, the Governor of Arkansas.
Devil's Canyon, in present-day Kiowa County, Oklahoma, was the site of the first formal contact between the United States government and the Plains Indians. On July 21, 1834, US troops under the command of Col. Henry Dodge escorted government officials to a peace conference at the Wichita village on the prairie at the confluence of the canyon and the North Fork of the Red River.
The Diamond Point School is a historic one-room school house in Nowata County, Oklahoma at the junction of county roads 409 and 24.5. It was built in 1919 and was used through 1968. It is built of red brick and has a bell tower in one corner. It was restored in 1996 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
The Adair County Courthouse is located in Stilwell, Oklahoma and is the central building for the county government for Adair County, Oklahoma. The current building is the fourth building in Stilwell to serve as the courthouse. From 1902 until 1908 a two story wood-frame schoolhouse served as the courthouse. In 1908 a new brick building was built and was used until 1920 when a building of native stone was built. On December 30, 1929 the new stone building burned down.
Golda's Mill was a historic water mill in Adair County, Oklahoma near Stilwell. It was built in about 1882 by Dr. Nicholas Bitting on the site of an older mill. It had an overshot water wheel which was 20 feet in diameter. The original wooden wheel was replaced by a steel wheel in 1908. The mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The mill continued in operation until 1983, when it was destroyed by fire.
The Buffington Hotel is an historic hotel in Westville, Oklahoma, United States. The brick building was built in about 1910 and features an arcade of round-arch windows on the East and South facades. The hotel was the premiere hotel in Westville when the town was railway stop. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The Opera Block was a historic building in Westville, Oklahoma. The brick building was built in 1911-1912. It was used for multiple purposes throughout its existence, serving commercial, government and entertainment functions. For a time it served as the Westville City Hall. The second floor was configured as an opera house and auditorium. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and was demolished in 1998.
Commandant's Quarters of Fort Gibson was built in 1868. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The larger Fort Gibson, which may include this building, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Lincoln Terrace is a historic and diverse neighborhood in the Eastside district of Northeast Oklahoma City, located on either side of Lincoln Blvd just south of the Oklahoma State Capitol, between NE 13th and NE 23rd streets. ] Most homes in the area were built during the decade (1920-30) after the erection of the state capitol. The neighborhood has undergone a renaissance in recent years as a result of the expansion of the Oklahoma Medical Center complex on its south side.
The Antelope Hills in Roger Mills County, Oklahoma are a series of low hills in the bend of the Canadian River. The highest peak has an elevation of 2585 feet. They were a major landmark for the Plains Indians and travelers on what is now the western plains of Oklahoma. The hills are on the National Register of Historic Places.