The firm Fabrique d'armes Émile et Léon Nagant was established in 1859 in Liège, Belgium, to manufacture firearms. Émile (born 1830) and Léon (born 1833) Nagant were brothers, and probably best known for their important contributions to the design of the Mosin-Nagant Russian service rifle, adopted in 1891. This introduction to the Tsar's military administration led to the adoption, in 1895, of the Nagant M1895 revolver as their standard-issue sidearm.
Vivinus cars were made by Ateliers Vivinus S.A. of Schaerbeek, Brussels (1899 - 1912). The owner, Alexis Vivinus (1860-1929), had made bicycles in the 1890s and become an importer of Benz. From 1895 he started to make his own range of cars. These were belt-driven voiturette models with a 785 cc single cylinder engine and 2 speed transmission by belt drive. Licences to make his designs were sold to firms such as New Orleans of England, Georges Richard of France and De Dietrich in Germany.
The Minerva was a prominent Belgian luxury automobile manufactured from 1902 until 1938. In 1883, a young Dutchman, Sylvain de Jong settled in Antwerp, Belgium. He started a bicycle factory and by the end of the century was producing motorcycles, as well as exporting engines to the UK to power the very first Triumph, among others. Motorcycle production would continue until 1909 or 1914, and during this period Minerva became one of the world's premier names in motorcycles and motorcycle engines.
The ADK was a Belgian automobile manufactured between 1923 and 1930 by Automobiles de Kuyper SA of Anderlecht, Brussels. The company did not make their own engines, these were always bought from other manufacturers. The first car, the 10CV Type Y-22 used a four cylinder S.C.A.P. engine. Over the next few years a variety of other 4 cylinder cars were made. In 1927 the company announced a 1594 cc pushrod ohv six-cylinder with twin carburettors, as well as in-unit engine/gearbox construction.
The Antoine was a Belgian automobile manufactured by Victor Antoine of Liège, an engine manufacturer, from 1900 to 1903. At least two models were offered. One was a 4 hp voiturette. The other, offered in 1903, was a 15/25 hp car.
Métallurgique were cars made by SA L'Auto Métallurgique, Marchienne-au-Pont, Belgium between 1898 and 1928. Before making cars, the company had made railway locomotives and rolling stock. The first cars were 4.5-hp, 2-cylinder models with chain drive, but in 1905 a new modern range was introduced, designed by Ernst Lehmann, who joined them from Daimler in 1903.
The Ranger was a General Motors car brand that lasted from 1968 to 1976. The brand was used in conjunction with two markets, an automobile marketed as "South Africa's Own Car", built in Port Elizabeth from 1968 to 1973, and another model range that was produced from 1970 to 1976 in Antwerp, Belgium, by General Motors Continental SA. General Motors Suisse SA from Biel-Bienne Switzerland also produced Rangers from 1970 to the factory's end in August 1975.
The Flaid was a Belgian automobile manufactured from 1920 until 1921 in Liège. A 10/12 hp light car with 1095 cc four cylinder engine, it was designed for export to Britain. A stand was booked at the 1920 British Motor Show but the car never appeared.
The Jeecy-Vea was a Belgian automobile manufactured from 1925 until 1926 by a company more famous for its motor cycles. A limited-production light car, it was manufactured by a motorcycle factory in Brussels, and featured a 750 cc Coventry-Climax flat-twin engine. Tourer and coupé bodied versions were advertised.
The Juwel was a Belgian automobile manufactured from 1923 until 1927 in Waremme by Société des Automobiles Juwel. Initial plans called for a mass-produced 1100 cc four cylinder tourer and two models were shown at the 1922 Brussels Motor Show. Bodies offered included open 2 and 4 seat cars, a 3 seat sports cars, two door saloon and a light delivery van. Financial problems restricted the numbers made.
The Springuel was a Belgian automobile manufactured from 1907 until 1912. A product of Huy, it was a 24 hp pair-cast four, built in small numbers. The company merged with Impéria in 1912. The 1911 12HP won the Grand Prix of Belgium in 1913.
Impéria is a Belgian automotive brand. Green Propulsion has bought the rights of the name and intend to start producing vehicles in 2008 with hybrid electric powertrain. The most famous is the Imperia GP
The Delecroix was a Belgian automobile. First build in 1897, but commercialised in 1898, it was a light car with a rear-mounted engine and a suspension-less tubular frame. In 1899 they started building a car with place for four with a monocylindre 3,5 hp engine. A small car with 2-cylindre De Dion engine was built, which could drive backwards also (the other creations could not).
Edran is a Belgian automobile manufacturer. The company was founded in 1984 by André Hanjoul. The first car to be displayed in public was the Edran Spyder MK I at the 1994 Brussels Motor Show. In 2006, the company introduced its newest sports car, the Edran Enigma.
The Alatac was an automobile built by Automobiles Catala of Braine-le-Comte, Belgium, from 1913 to 1914. Two models were made, one being a 9/12CV and the other 12/16CV, both having four cylinder, sidevalve monobloc engines. They had a conventional chassis, an attractive V-radiator, and detachable wire wheels.
The Astra was made by Automobiles Astra, Liege, Belgium in 1930. It is considered a textbook example of car design piracy, as the 1,100cc S.C.A.P. -engined car that made its debut at the 1930 Brussels Motor Show was an almost exact copy of the Tracta. It never went into production, and the projected 6- and 8- cylinder versions were, most likely, never built.
Pieper was a carmaker in Belgium. In 1900, Henri Pieper of Germany introduced a hybrid vehicle with an electric motor/generator, batteries, and a small gasoline engine. It used the electric motor to charge its batteries at cruise speed and used both motors to accelerate or climb a hill. The Pieper factory was taken over by Imperia, after Pieper died. Auto-Mixte, also of Belgium, built vehicles from 1906 to 1912 under the Pieper patents.
Compagnie Nationale Excelsior, more simply known as Exelsior, was a Belgian car manufacturer established by Arthus de Coninck in Brussels in 1903, The company first started to manufacture cars in 1904. The first models were powered by a two or four-cylinder Aster engine, this was considered nothing special however. In 1907, the company made the headlines with the Adex, powered by a six-cylinder side-valve engine with a capacity of nine litres.
Pipe was a Belgian automobile manufacturer founded by the brothers Alfred and Victor Goldschmidt. The company was also known as 'Compagnie Belge de Construction Automobiles'. In 1900 they presented their first car in Brussels under the name 'Pipe'. This model was similar to cars made by Panhard & Levassor. This 'Pipe' car was powered by a two-cylinder engine. In 1901, a sporty model (Pipe 15 CV) was made, it had a four-cylinder engine.