Fort Myer is a U.S. Army post adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. It is a small post by U.S. Army standards, and has no ranges or field training areas. As a result of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) initiative to create more efficiency of efforts, the Army’s Fort Myer and the Marines’ Henderson Hall will become the first Joint Base in the Department of Defense.
The George Washington Memorial Parkway, known to local motorists simply as the "G.W. Parkway", is a parkway maintained by the U.S. National Park Service. It is located mostly in Northern Virginia, although a short section northwest of the Arlington Memorial Bridge passes over Columbia Island, which is within the District of Columbia. It is separated into two sections joined by Washington Street in Alexandria, Virginia.
The Francis Scott Key Bridge, more commonly known as the Key Bridge, is a six-lane reinforced concrete arch bridge conveying U.S. Route 29 traffic across the Potomac River between the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington County, Virginia and the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Completed in 1923, it is Washington's oldest surviving bridge across the Potomac River.
The Chain Bridge is a major viaduct which crosses the Potomac River at the Little Falls in Washington, D.C. It connects Washington with affluent sections of Arlington and Fairfax counties in Virginia. On the Washington side, the bridge connects with Canal Road and the Clara Barton Parkway. On the Virginia side, the bridge connects with State Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road), which provides access to State Route 120 (Glebe Road) and the George Washington Parkway.
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial, also known as the Custis-Lee Mansion, is a Greek revival style mansion located in Arlington, Virginia, USA and was once the home of Confederate General Robert E. Lee. It overlooks the Potomac River, directly across from the National Mall in Washington, D.C. During the American Civil War, the grounds of the mansion were selected as the site of Arlington National Cemetery, in part to ensure that Lee would never again be able to return to his home.
Fairlington is an unincorporated neighborhood in Arlington County, Virginia, United States, located adjacent to Shirlington in the southernmost part of the county on the boundary with the City of Alexandria. The main thoroughfares are Interstate 395 which divides the neighborhood into North and South Fairlington, State Route 7 and State Route 402 (Quaker Lane).
Fort Ethan Allen was an earthwork fortification built on the property of Gilbert Vanderwerken in Alexandria County, Virginia, by the Union Army in 1861 as part of the defense of Washington during the American Civil War. The remains of the fort, a portion of the earthen walls, now overgrown, are now part of Fort Ethan Allen Park.
Birchwood is a log house reconstructed in 1936 using logs from an earlier structure built in about 1836. The first log house on the site was an even earlier structure built by Caleb Birch in approximately 1800 that burned down. Birchwood has been recognized as a Historic District by Arlington County, USA.
Fort Albany was a bastioned earthwork built by the Union Army in Arlington County (then still known as Alexandria County) in Virginia. It was built in 1861 as part of the defense of Washington during the American Civil War. No trace of the fort remains, although an historic marker shows the location where the fort once stood, guarding the approach to the Long Bridge along the Columbia Turnpike, near the modern-day Pentagon.
Prospect Hill was a mansion built in 1841 by successful contractor James Roach in Arlington County (then still named Alexandria County) in the U.S. state of Virginia. The house was built on Arlington Ridge Road. The house was demolished in 1965, but an historic marker has been placed at the site. Prospect Hill has been recognized as an Historic District by Arlington County.
Now marked only by an historic marker on South 18th Street off of Glebe Road, Fort Richardson was a detached redoubt constructed by the Union Army in September 1861 as part of the defense of Washington during the American Civil War. It was named for General Israel B. Richardson, whose division was then deployed to defend against attack by way of Columbia Turnpike. It had a perimeter of 316 yards and emplacements for 15 guns. The fort is designated as an Historic District by Arlington County.
Named for General Winfield Scott, who was then General-in-Chief of the Union Army, Fort Scott was a detached lunette constructed in May 1861 to guard the south flank of the defenses of Washington during the American Civil War. An historic marker and a small remnant of the fort are the only evidence of the site of the fort on the grounds of what is now the Fort Scott Park in Arlington County, Virginia. When originally built, the fort had a perimeter of 313 yards and emplacements for 8 guns.
Battery Garesche or Battery Garesché was a Union Army artillery battery built as part of the defenses of Washington, D.C. in the American Civil War at what is now Abingdon Street at South 30th Road in Fairlington, Arlington County, Virginia. It was constructed in late 1861 to control the high ground over Fort Reynolds, 200 yards (200 m) to the southeast, and to protect it from Confederate attack from positions on Seminary Ridge.