The University of Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland's four ancient universities. Located in Glasgow, the university was founded in 1451 and is presently one of seventeen British higher education institutions ranked amongst the top 100 of the world.
Wiener Musikverein, English: "Viennese Music Association", commonly just quoted The Musikverein, has a twofold meaning: it is the name of its famous Vienna concert hall, as well as the short name for the music society, Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde [Society of Music Lovers] which owns the building. This building is located on Dumbastraße behind the Imperial Hotel, between Bösendorferstraße and Karlsplatz.
Fettes College is an independent boarding and day school in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is often referred to as a public school in common with the traditional independent schools in England and Wales, although in Scotland, as in most of the English-speaking world, "public school" usually refers to a state school.
Melbourne Town Hall is the central municipal building of the City of Melbourne, Australia, in the State of Victoria. It is located on the northeast corner of Swanston and Collins Streets, in the central business district. It is the seat of the Local Government Area of the City of Melbourne.
Sandringham House is a country house on 20,000 acres (8,100 ha) of land near the village of Sandringham in Norfolk, England. The house is privately owned by the British Royal Family and is located on the royal Sandringham Estate, which lies within the Norfolk Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Mariyinsky Palace in Kiev is a picturesque Baroque palace on the hilly bank of the Dnieper River. The palace is the official ceremonial residence of the President of Ukraine and adjoins the neo-classical building of the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) of Ukraine. The palace was requested to be constructed in 1744 by the Russian Empress Elizaveta Petrovna, and was designed by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, the most famous architect working in the Russian empire at that time.
The Church of Saint John the Baptist, Liverpool, is on the corner of West Derby Road and Green Lane, in Tuebrook, Liverpool, Merseyside, England. It is a Grade I listed building and an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of West Derby.
Troy Savings Bank, now owned by First Niagara Financial Group is a bank in Troy, Rensselaer County, New York, U.S.A.. It is notable for having a music hall constructed on the second floor above the bank itself, the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, which is renowned for its acoustics, including a huge Odell concert organ.
The Mansion of Bahjí is a term used to describe a summer house in Acre, Israel, where Bahá'u'lláh, founder of the Bahá'í Faith died in 1892. His shrine is located next to this house. The whole area was called Al-Bahjá (Place of Delight). The area was originally a garden planted by Suleiman Pasha, who was the ruler of Acre, for his daughter Fatimih, and he named it Bahji.
The Rose Island Light, built in 1870, is located on Rose Island in Narragansett Bay in Newport, Rhode Island in the United States. The Rose Island Lighthouse Foundation preserves, maintains and operates the lighthouse. One of a group of New England lighthouses built to an award-winning design by a Vermont architect, the Rose Island Lighthouse has sister lights at Sabin Point, Pomham Rocks, and Colchester Reef.
The Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church is a structure on the National Register of Historic Places in Auburn, Alabama. Ebenezer Baptist Church was the first African American church built in the Auburn area after the end of the Civil War in 1865. That year, a plantation owner donated the property on which the church sits to one of his former slaves. Over the next few years, the church members built the church out of hand-hewn logs, transported from miles away by mules.
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul is a Roman Catholic church in Singapore. It is located at Queen Street in the Rochor Planning Area, within the Central Area in Singapore's central business district.
H.H. Richardson Complex is a recently-coined name for the Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane, a large Medina red sandstone and brick hospital that stands on the grounds of the present day Buffalo Psychiatric Center in Buffalo, New York. The official name for the complex (at least technically so) remains as the Buffalo Psychiatric Center (originally Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane, and, later, known as Buffalo State Hospital). It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
Westonbirt House is a country house in Gloucestershire, England. It belonged to the Holford family from 1665 until 1926. The first house on the site was an Elizabethan manor house. The Holfords replaced it first with a Georgian house, and then Robert Stayner Holford, who inherited Westonbirt in 1839, replaced that house between 1863 and 1870 with the present mansion which was designed by Lewis Vulliamy. He also remodelled the gardens, diverted the main road and relocated the villagers.
The Phoenicia Railroad Station is located on High Street just south of Phoenicia, New York, United States. It is a frame building dating to the end of the 19th century. It was built by the Ulster and Delaware Railroad to replace an earlier station, serving primarily the patrons of hotels in the surrounding Catskill Mountains. It remained in use throughout the 20th century, as the Ulster and Delaware eventually was absorbed into the New York Central Railroad.
Grace Episcopal Church is an historic Carpenter Gothic church in Georgetown, Colorado. Built in 1870, it now overlooks Interstate 70. Grace Episcopal is still an active church in the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado. On August 14, 1973, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Joseph A. Hemann House in Cincinnati, Ohio, was built in 1870 by Joseph A. Hemann (1816-1897) and served as his residence for about ten years. It is located in Hamilton County in the neighborhood of Clifton on the corner of West McMillan and Hollister. Mr. Hemann was the founder of the Cincinnati Volksfreund in 1850.
Onota was a village in the Upper Peninsula of the U.S. state of Michigan. It was located on the Grand Island Bay of Lake Superior near the present-day community of Christmas about five miles (8 km) west of Munising in Alger County. The site of Onota is within the Bay Furnace Campground and Picnic Area of the Hiawatha National Forest at 46°26′31″N 86°42′30″W / 46.44194°N 86.70833°W / 46.44194; -86.70833 (Bay Furnace Recreation Area).
The Phelps Mansion, also known as The Monday Afternoon Clubhouse, is a three story brick and stone mansion located on Court Street in Binghamton, New York. It was built in 1870 as the private home of Sherman D Phelps. Mr. Phelps was a successful business man, banker, Republican Elector for Abraham Lincoln, and mayor of the City of Binghamton. The building was designed by Isaac G. Perry who later became the chief architect for the New York State Capitol building in Albany, New York.
The Tinker Swiss Cottage is a historic place, museum, and park in Rockford, Illinois, USA. It was built as a personal residence by Robert Hall Tinker in the 1860s. It is now a popular destination for school trips and wedding receptions. Tinker moved to Rockford in 1856, where he was employed as an accountant by Mary Dorr Manny, the wealthy widow of John H. Manny of the Manny reaper works. Tinker traveled Europe in 1862 and was greatly impressed by the estates and gardens he had seen there.
Pinebank Mansion was a Queen Anne-style house sited on a hill overlooking Jamaica Pond in Boston, Massachusetts. Built in 1868 by John Hubbard Sturgis, it was the only mansion retained by Frederick Law Olmsted in his plans the Emerald Necklace park system. It was the only original structure remaining in the park system at the time of its demolition in 2007.
The Old Idaho State Penitentiary, also known as the Idaho Territorial Prison, was constructed in the Territory of Idaho in 1870. The territory was less than ten years old when the prison was built east of Boise, Idaho in the western United States. From its beginnings as a single cell house, the penitentiary grew to a complex of several distinctive buildings surrounded by a high sandstone wall.