Augsburg is a city in the south-west of Bavaria in Germany. It is a College town and home of the Regierungsbezirk Schwaben and the Bezirk Schwaben. Augsburg is an urban district and home to the institutions of the Landkreis Augsburg. It is, as of 2008, the third-largest city in Bavaria with a population exceeding 264,000 citizens. After Trier, Augsburg is Germany's second oldest city.
The County Palatine of the Rhine, later the Electoral Palatinate, was a historical territory of the Holy Roman Empire, a palatinate administered by a count palatine. Its rulers served as prince-electors of the Holy Roman Empire from 1356.
Regensburg is a city (population 131,000 in 2007) in Bavaria, Germany, located at the confluence of the Danube and Regen rivers, at the northernmost bend in the Danube. To the east lies the Bavarian Forest. Regensburg is the capital of the Bavarian administrative region Upper Palatinate. The large medieval center of the city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Wetzlar is a town in the German federal state (Bundesland) of Hesse, capital of the Lahn-Dill district. Located at 8° 30′ E, 50° 34′ N, there are (as of 2002) approximately 54,000 inhabitants. The town is located on the river Lahn, as well as on the German Framework Road. Notable architectural features include the Eisenmarkt and the steep grades and claustrophobic street layout of a medieval town. The sandstone cathedral of St. Mary was commenced in the 12th century as a Romanesque building.
Ulm is a city in the German Bundesland of Baden-Württemberg, situated on the River Danube. The city, whose population is estimated at 120,000 (2006), forms an urban district of its own and is the administrative seat of the Alb-Donau district. Ulm, founded around 850, is rich in history and traditions as a former Free Imperial City. Today, it is an economic centre due to its varied industries, and it is the seat of a university (University of Ulm, founded in 1967).
The Territory Northwest of the River Ohio, more commonly known as the Northwest Territory, was an organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from July 13, 1787, until March 1, 1803, when the southeastern portion of the territory was admitted to the Union as the state of Ohio. The Congress of the Confederation enacted the Northwest Ordinance in 1787 to provide for the administration of the territories and set rules for admission as a state. On August 7, 1789, the new U.S.
The Archbishopric of Mainz or Electorate of Mainz was an influential ecclesiastic and secular prince-bishopric in the Holy Roman Empire between 780–82 and 1802. In the Roman Catholic Church hierarchy, the Archbishop of Mainz was the primas Germaniae, the substitute of the Pope north of the Alps. Aside from Rome, the See of Mainz is the only other see referred to as a "Holy See", although this usage has become rather less common.
The Electorate of Cologne was an ecclesiastical principality of the Holy Roman Empire and existed from the 10th to the early 19th century. It consisted of the temporal possessions of the Archbishop of Cologne . It was ruled by the Archbishop in his function as prince-elector of the empire. The capitals of the electorate were Cologne (until 1288) and then Bonn. It was secularized in 1803 during the German Mediatisation.
The Archbishopric of Salzburg was an ecclesiastical state of the Holy Roman Empire, roughly consisting of the present-day state of Salzburg in Austria. The diocese arose from St. Peter's Abbey, founded about 696 by St. Rupert at the former Roman city of Iuvavum. The last Archbishop with princely authority was Hieronymus von Colloredo, an early patron of Salzburg native Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Reichenau Island lies in Lake Constance in southern Germany, at approximately 47°42′N 9°4′E / 47.7°N 9.067°E / 47.7; 9.067Coordinates: 47°42′N 9°4′E / 47.7°N 9.067°E / 47.7; 9.067. It lies between the Gnadensee and the Untersee, almost due west of the city of Konstanz. The island is connected to the mainland by a causeway that was completed in 1838.
Biberach is a town in the south of Germany. It is the capital of Biberach district, in the Upper Swabia region of the German state of Baden-Württemberg. To distinguish it from the other Biberachs it is called Biberach an der Riß after the small river Riß which flows through the city (the Riss/Riß also gave its name to the Riss glaciation period). The marketplace with its patrician buildings, its fountain and its renovated town hall is one of the loveliest in the south of Germany.
Weil der Stadt is a small town of somewhat less than 20,000 inhabitants, located in the Stuttgart Region of the German state of Baden-Württemberg. It is about 30 km (19 miles) west of Stuttgart city center, and is often called "Gate to the Black Forest". Weil der Stadt became an Imperial Free City in the 13th century, but had existed for centuries before as an important trading place.
Reutlingen is a city in southern Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is the capital of the eponymous district of Reutlingen. As of April 2008, it has a population of 109,828. Reutlingen has a university of applied sciences, which was founded in 1855, originally as a weaver's school. Today Reutlingen is home to an established textile industry and also houses machinery, leather goods and steel manufacturing facilities.
Ravensburg is a town in Upper Swabia in Southern Germany, capital of the district of Ravensburg, Baden-Württemberg. Population: 48,000 (in 2002; 19,000 in 1933). Ravensburg was first mentioned in 1088. In the Middle Ages, it was an Imperial Free City and an important trading centre. The "Great Ravensburg Trading Society" (Große Ravensburger Handelsgesellschaft) owned shops and trading companies all over Europe.
The Canton of Baden was a canton of the Helvetic Republic. Its capital was the town of Baden. The canton was created in 1798 from the merger of the County of Baden with the Freie Ämter (free bailiwicks), both of which had until then been condominiums (gemeine Herrschaften) of the Old Swiss Confederation. The canton was divided into five districts — Baden, Bremgarten, Muri, Sarmenstorf and Zurzach.
Überlingen is a city on the northern shore of Lake Constance (Bodensee). After the city of Friedrichshafen, it is the second largest city in the Bodenseekreis (district), and a central point for the outlying communities. Since January 1, 1993, Überlingen has been categorized as a large district city (Große Kreisstadt).
The Bishopric of Würzburg was a prince-bishopric in the Holy Roman Empire, located in Lower Franconia, around the city of Würzburg, Germany. Würzburg was a diocese from 743. In the 18th century, its bishop was often also Bishop of Bamberg. The last few prince-bishops resided at the Würzburg Residence, which is one of the grandest baroque palaces in Europe. As a consequence of the 1801 Treaty of Lunéville, the Bishopric of Würzburg was secularized in 1803 and annexed by the Elector of Bavaria.
Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn-Altenkirchen (sometimes called Sayn-Altenkirchen) was a German county located in what is now Rhineland-Palatinate, near the Sieg River. When Count William III of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn died in 1623 without clear heirs, the Archbishop of Cologne occupied the vacant County until the succession was settled.
The County of Stolberg-Rossla was a county of the Holy Roman Empire. Its capital was Roßla, now in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Stolberg-Rossla emerged as a partition of Stolberg-Stolberg in 1706. It was forced to recognize the suzerainty of the Electorate of Saxony in 1738. Stolberg-Rossla was mediatised to Saxony in 1803, but passed to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815.
Stolberg-Stolberg was a county of the Holy Roman Empire located in the southern Harz region. Its capital was the town of Stolberg, now in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. In 1429 the County of Wernigerode passed to the Counts of Stolberg, who ruled Wernigerode through a personal union. In 1548 the line was split between a Harz line (Stolberg-Stolberg) and a Rhenish line which had possessions in Rochefort and Königstein im Taunus.
The Bishopric of Speyer was a state, ruled by Prince-Bishops, in what is today the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate. It was secularized in 1803. Its capital was Speyer until the 14th century when the prince-bishop moved his residence to Uddenheim then Bruchsal.